Durham Community Action provides support for any community led housing project or initiative in County Durham. We work as part of Communities CAN which is a regional support hub for community-led housing, charged with promoting and supporting a broad range of initiatives across the North East of England. Support is available to local groups who want to provide community-led housing through peer support, technical support, links with specialist suppliers and advice on best practice.
What is Community Led Housing
- Community led housing is where local people join together to look at housing issues in their local area
- This starts with the community identifying what is needed, such as there aren’t enough starter homes for people to buy, there are too many empty properties or that there aren’t enough affordable homes to rent
- The community can then play a leading role in solving these housing problems by exploring the needs of their community and helping to provide new homes in the area.
How the hub can help
- Give you advice on how to set up a community led housing group
- Help you find the right people in your area to join the project
- Help you access funding and support for the project
- Link you with our teams and partners who will be able to offer advice on your project and help you meet your community’s needs
For more information please contact Susan Tron on 01388 742040 or by email