18th Jun 2019

Did you know that if you are running any form of community event or activity you may need a music licence or additional insurance?

Our Community Development Officers are often asked about licensing requirements for all sorts of events and regular activities from live music, film show and bingo sessions, to all manner of events considering selling or serving alcohol.

Running events offers many exciting opportunities to get a range of people and communities involved in your organisation’s work and raise vital funds for your cause, but it’s vitally important that you have a checked all the legal requirements for your activity and have a plan in place for ‘when things go wrong’.

Here are some examples of things to consider:

  • Do you have permission and a licence (if you need one) to run an event?
  • Have you carried out a risk assessment and appropriately ensured the health and safety of all employees, participants, and attendees?
  • Have you got the insurance (including public liability insurance) that you need?
  • Have you made sure that any food supplied complies with regulations on food safety and hygiene?

If you have any forthcoming events and you would like any further information, advice and guidance, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our Communities Team who would be happy to help and support you:

Telephone: 01388 742040

Email: info@durhamcommunityaction.org.uk

Alternatively, other useful information can be found at:

Gov.uk - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/can-do-guide-for-organisers-of-voluntary-events/the-can-do-guide-to-organising-and-running-voluntary-and-community-events#find_out

The Institute of Fundraising - https://www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk/guidance/events-and-community/

< Back to posts